Thursday, September 20, 2012

Christmas Gingerbread Cookies






This is how I designed my cookies :)
I actually stayed up all night from 8pm till 8am (12 hours!!) to make these cookies for all my friends.
I made around 300 cookies for 18 friends. All the cookies came with a beautiful tin container.






Step 1 - Cut 2 sticks of unsalted butter into cubes and leave them in room temperature for 1 hour. In a large bowl, use an electric beater to cream softened butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. (Tip: make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl.)


Step 2 - Crack one large egg and mix until the egg is just about to disappear.
Step 3 - Pour in one cup of Molasses and mix well. One cup might seem a lot, but I can tell you, it's not. I don't like my recipes to be too sweet, so don't worry about the cookies are going to be very sweet.
Step 4 - In another large bowl, weight out 5 cups of all purpose-flour and put in ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg(optional), ground ginger, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Use a fork to mix them and break down the lumps, you can sift it if you want. (If your dough is too soft and seems like it needs more flour, put a few tablespoons of flour and work on your dough until you get the right consistancy.)
Step 5 - Pour 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Keep folding until most of the flour are gone then pour in the second 1/3 of the dry ingredients and so on.

Step 6 - Once everything is combined together, transfer you dough to a large surface or a cutting board, work on the dough for about a minute or two, then split you dough to half and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Put them into the fridge for 2 hours.
Step 7 - 2 hours later, you dough should be slightly firmer and will be easy to work on. Roll your dough to about 5mm thin and use your favorite cookie cutters and start cutting out your cookies. Then transfer your cookies to a baking pan with wax paper on it.
Step 8 - Put them into a preheated 150-160C° oven and bake for 10-13 minutes or until they are golden brown. Let them cool completely and decorate your gingerbread cookies with icing!! Enjoy :)
Do you guys want me to do a tutorial on how to decorate the cookies?
I will be making 200 Ginger Cookies and decorate with my design for my lovely friends, so I can show you guys how to using icing!!



Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup molasses
5 cup all-purpose flour (maybe you will need 1/2 cup more)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional, I didn't use this in my video)
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for this easy receipe. Could you please also show us how to do the icing and decoration?
    Thanks a million :)

    ReplyDelete